Monday, November 30, 2009

Weekend of the Lepus


The gallery: Slow hiking with fast dogs


ALL day long. . .



Pastures are way different in Virginia
And this dog would know! He was one my eye was constantly drawn to.


A weary hiker, resting with her faithful hounds.
Geeze, was it REALLY 11+ miles???


Meanwhile, back at the vans. . .
The black beauty in the foreground was one of the fastest at this event, and proved an excellent digger as well.


Kubei, my "Rabbit Dawg" with a friend.
My backpack is in the foreground--ANY excuse to get that thing off my back! 


Could there be a more beautiful sight? Yes: once they start running!


Working the sagebrush
No photos could do a magical day of running beautiful hounds with pleasant companions in a stark landscape justice, least of all these very amateur ones.
But I have always agreed with GK Chesterton:

 "If a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing badly!"

All photos in this article by Vickie Littleton

4 comments:

  1. a bad day in the desert beats a good day almost anywhere else...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was invited out to an event, think this last weekend, by Carol Enz, but my health(11 miles with asthma, no thanks LOL) and work, just couldn't figure out how to wing it. ANd no way I was sending Gossip out to Carol LOL I'm afraid I wouldn't get her back

    Love the photos guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a DRY, SLOW 11+ miles, so you don't mind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of like that "dry heat" that nobody ever minds. . .seriously we hiked from nine until four in the afternoon. I had worked my way up to 5-6 miles of brisk walking and that seemed to get me in good enough shape to do the weekend.

    ReplyDelete